Director of operations
Trans-Plan is a Canadian professional transportation engineering company that creates thoughtful plans for movement in urban environments. We solve challenging pedestrian, bicycle, transit, and automobile transportation problems by applying our expert knowledge and utmost care in traffic and transportation, planning, design, and collaboration with other professionals. We provide urban transportation advisory services to public and private clients across Canada. Trans-Plan actively encourages its employees to grow with the company.
We are looking for a full-time experienced Director of Operations to organize and oversee the daily operations of our company. As Trans-Plan moves from being a start-up to an established engineering firm, we require an individual who is keen to develop and formalize our operating procedures. The candidate will ensure that the business is well-coordinated and productive by creating and managing its procedures, co-creating performance targets and coaching our people.
The area of responsibility for this role is very wide and thus requires thorough knowledge of various business processes. The ideal candidate must be competent and able to plan many different kinds of operational activities bolstered by having demonstrable operational and strategic planning skills. The candidate must be a dynamic leader who can discover the most efficient ways to run the business while contributing to our innovative culture.
The candidate’s main responsibility will be to safeguard and augment the efficiency of the company’s operations to facilitate accelerating development and long-term success.
Essential Functions: There are 6 key areas to being successful at this role:
1) Co-create company Objectives and Performance Targets
- In conjunction with the CEO and Leadership Team, create and implement strategic priorities and objectives and assist in developing sound short and long-range performance plans for the organization.
- Support company financial goals through budget management, process efficiency and other programs and anticipate requirements within the firm. Make recommendations to CEO on budgetary/capital/resource requirements, needs, and expenditures.
2) Organize and Coordinate Cross-Departmental Initiatives
- Organize and lead initiatives involving multiple departments. Monitor, evaluate, report results to leadership.
- Identify and facilitate knowledge sharing needs and improve Firmwide communications.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures.
- Work in conjunction with advisors and/or practice heads on big picture service deliverables and facilitate regular meetings and objectives related to the tangible operational deliverables produced for our clients
3) Oversee Teams - Management of Performance Measurement, Operations, and Production Department
- Work closely with a designated team leads to plan, assess, assign, and direct work of managed teams. Assign accountabilities, set objectives, and establish priorities. Monitor and evaluate results
- Create and monitor service standards for work product generated by the team, ensure standards are met or exceeded. Take proactive measures to identify any need to correct potential deficiencies
- Budget management
4) Technology Project Management
- Drive the research, analysis, scoping, development, implementation, and modification of technology-based solutions aimed at improving work product, efficiency, information flow and the quality of client deliverable outputs, in collaboration with other departments and stakeholders
- Direct the development and implementation of change management plans that minimize employee resistance, maximize employee engagement, and educate and support senior management as change sponsors
5) Financial Management:
- Take responsibility for budgeting, accounting, and bookkeeping for Trans-Plan.
- Own the systems and the processes to ensure that everything works as and when it should.
- Manage our banking relationships and outsourced financial and accounting services provider in each jurisdiction.
- Manage cash flow and projections to ensure the health of our business, along with ensuring proper funding and the production of a monthly summary of accounts.
- Support Managing leaders and their local teams at becoming effective budget holders and produce quarterly reports for managers of performance against budget. Reporting and Analysis
Along with the core financial reporting above, this role will:
- Implement a leadership dashboard that tracks and analyses key business metrics, along with monthly operational reporting.
- Develop insights and analysis based on the data and reporting.
- Become the pulse check for the health and strength of our business.
6) Support Human Resource Management Policy and Programs
- Responsible for coaching, mentoring, training, and educating employees. Improve staff satisfaction by identifying and responding to concerns. Address complaints and provide pro-active conflict resolution
- Establish and measure individual job performance standards for direct reports, and assist HR in designing and implementing performance management systems
- Implement consistent human resources policy across the organization; support culture change process
- Enhance effectiveness by identifying and analyzing current staffing and recommending changes or new organization structures as needed
- 7-10 years relevant work experience required; Technology SaaS industry background strongly preferred.
- Four-year University degree required; MBA or MA in related field. Engineering background is strongly preferred.
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills
- Understanding of strategic planning processes and methodologies
- Demonstrated experience guiding corporate strategic initiatives to completion
- Exceptional communication skills. Particularly effective communicating with Senior Management, direct reports (line managers) and comfortable speaking and presenting firm wide
- Experience as a team or department manager in performance-oriented, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of others, and effectively delegate
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently and collectively, and achieve objectives
- Ability to handle and resolve problems and adapt to change quickly
- Skilful in modern office procedures and systems including email, internet, G-suite, and Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint
- Strong technology skills a plus, particularly in Tamarac or NetSuite. Advanced technical skills such as script writing or SQL a bonus.
Engineering, Technology and Software Services
General Business and Business development
Sales & Marketing
REPORTS TO: CEO
LOCATION: Trans-Plan Head Office – Toronto, ON
TRAVEL: Up to 10-20% travel. Some international travel.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment:
Trans-Plan is an equal opportunity employer. In addition, Trans-Plan is committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with all legislative requirements throughout Canada. Please let us know if you require an accommodation due to a disability during any aspect of the recruitment process and we will work with you to address your needs.
All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a: criminal background check, credit check, and validation of their work experience to qualify for hire. We thank all interested applicants, however we will only be contacting those for interview who possess the skills and qualifications outlined above.