INtermediate traffic engineer/transportation planner
Trans-Plan is a Canadian professional transportation engineering company that creates thoughtful plans for movement in urban environments. We solve challenging pedestrian, bicycle, transit, and automobile transportation problems by applying our expert knowledge and utmost care in traffic and transportation, planning, design and collaboration with other professionals. We provide urban transportation advisory services to public and private clients across Canada.
Trans-Plan actively encourages its employees to grow with the company. You will be part of a team that focuses on innovative solutions to complex and challenging traffic problems. This is an intermediate traffic engineer/transportation planner position, you will be be an integral part of the team in collecting and analyzing data for transportation related studies. There is also room to evolve in the company as you will gain exposure to all stages of projects.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under general supervision, gather, compile and analyze transportation demographic, economic, land use and/or environmental data including traffic counters, flow data, etc. to create basic to moderate complexity modeling for existing and proposed transportation systems (roads; bridges; highways; tunnels; tolls; transit; rail; freight; aviation; bike/ped.; etc.).
- Participate in and coordinate transportation and related planning studies; assist in the development of both short- and long-range transportation plans
- Review existing models and recommend improvements/changes as necessary
- Leverage transportation systems, models, simulations and data to prepare basic to moderate complexity studies of existing or proposed transportation system including: new systems; upgrades or updates to existing systems; re-routing of systems; reviews of existing systems
- Create transportation surveys, exhibits, and other meeting materials as necessary, to identify areas of public concern and facilitate public and stakeholder input
- Review proposed transportation project sites for alignment with draft designs and plans
- Review transportation plans for compliance/consistency with applicable local, state and federal laws
- Escalate any legal compliance issues as necessary
- Perform other duties as required
- Collaborate with engineers to research, analyze or resolve transportation conceptual/schematic design issues
- Create proposals and plans for clients and maintain client relationships
- Experience in drafting proposals to build client base and safeguard a reliable revenue stream
- Experience in drafting and editing scenario/job specific reports to guarantee client satisfaction
- Manage and develop the skills of the Engineering team
- Use knowledge and expertise to solve challenging transportation problems faced by our clients
- Effectively interface with internal staff and external clients
Qualifications and Skills
- Have a Bachelor’s (preferably a Master’s) degree in Civil Engineering
- P. Eng. Or Professional Transportation Planning Accreditations (a MUST)
- 5-8 years of engineering work experience
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of provisional and municipal transportation planning and engineering principles, policies, guidelines, and applications
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel) and Google suite of programs and have familiarity and experience with transportation software applications (e.g. Synchro, VISSIM, EMME, Aimsun, TransCad, etc.)
- Have a valid Ontario G driver’s license, a satisfactory driver’s abstract
- Must be punctual, reliable and always represent the company in a professional manner
- Be able to work both individually and in a team environment
REPORTS TO: Head of Engineering
LOCATION: Trans-Plan Head Office – Toronto, ON.
TRAVEL: Up to 10% travel.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment:
Trans-Plan is an equal opportunity employer. In addition, Trans-Plan is committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with all legislative requirements throughout Canada. Please let us know if you require an accommodation due to a disability during any aspect of the recruitment process and we will work with you to address your needs.
All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a: criminal background check, credit check, and validation of their work experience to qualify for hire. We thank all interested applicants, however we will only be contacting those for interview who possess the skills and qualifications outlined above.